Studio/Workroom/Dining Table/Creative Space
I truly believe everyone has a creative streak.
It’s the beginning of a new year – a bit like going back to school after the holidays. The tidy up is done, now I want to ensure I’m well organised and ready to fulfil the schedule I’ve given myself this year.
I’m excited because I’m full of ideas for a change of direction as well as looking back to past work and how I can push some of those ideas further.
I couldn’t do this without a work room – certainly not where I now live and with my two adult children staying at different times. It’s just the back bedroom, but the light is good – and it’s all mine!
I am so grateful to have a dedicated space to work. This hasn’t always been the case so my appreciation of it is very real. The Quartermaster (my husband who loves to shop) is amazed at how much I have in this room, but I keep telling him it’s all necessary – and it pretty much is.
OK, so it’s a small space, but over the last couple of years I’ve been slowly changing it to suit my needs.
Here’s why I love it:
- It’s ready for me – I just sit at my machine and work, every day. I might not stitch fast, but I sure get through it!
- I have a large sewing table which is able to support the weight of my work – and it is weighty believe me – plus two desk tops on top of filing cabinets on one side and shelving on the other. There’s plenty of desk space and sewing space – with just enough space for me!
- Colour – if not from what I’m working on then the threads and design ideas around me. It’s uplifting and inspiring. I want to be there – in fact I make myself do all my chores first so the enjoyment is intensified. Jobs done, now to work.
- Books – there’s something special about having a library suited to your personal tastes and interests. Many of my books are secondhand with a number published in the 70’s – a great time for design. I love all my books!
- Threads – I need to see colour as I work, so have my threads as visible as possible. I can audition a colour quickly before threading up my machine. Like my tidy up? I couldn’t fit anything more on this table before! I even made the little shelf myself out of cardboard. It’s supported by empty cotton spools glued together.
- Calendar of upcoming events/exhibitions. This is a must for me. I need to be well organised to fulfil the responsibilities I commit to. I use cards and tape them to the window ledge in front of where I work. This way I am constantly reminded of deadlines, teaching and other commitments.
- Admin wall – it’s just a large piece of form core, but it works for me. I keep all paperwork required for each event/exhibition here for quick reference. I also use it to display samples or design ideas.
- It suits me, right down to the books on the floor under my sewing table – cause my feet don’t touch the ground!
- It has things I love – photos of family and our dog Lucy, a tin with dried lavender given to me by a lovely student, beautiful stones and shells. Things that make me happy.
- Audiobooks – I work for long periods of time. Audiobooks on CD work best for me. Why? Because each time a CD finishes, I make myself get up and move or exercise. Long periods of intense stitching is very tiring – the more I exercise, the longer I can stitch! Win-win.
- It’s the best place for creativity, meditation, research, thinking and doing.
I just love walking through that door and being enveloped by my passion – it’s all systems go! In fact, after I do all my chores – guess where I’ll be?
I hope you like this glimpse into my world and where the magic happens for me.
What’s your workroom like?